Monday, October 29, 2007

Monday Homework

Ch. 12 #15, 16, 23, 24

Here are some of the class notes:

Calling on students for chance cards.

Simple Random Sample:
Use the Random Integer command on my calculator to randomly pick who to call on.
OR:
Put everyone's name in a hat and draw 5 names.

Stratified Random Sample:
I might stratify by class grades. Divide the class into five groups
(A, B, C, D, F) and randomly pick some students to participate from
each group. I think students with high grades are more likely to
participate and vice versa, so this will give me a good
representation.

Cluster sample:
Randomly pick one of the 8 table groups and call on everyone in that group.

Systematic Random Sample:
Use the roll sheet and pick every 5th person.
OR:
Pick every 3rd person as you arrive to class.

Population: Rancho Students
Question: Is RCHS a quality school?
Possible Strata?

Stratifying by GPA:
I would divide the student body into 3 groups: high, med and low GPA.
I would then randomly choose some students to survey from each group.
I think that each of these groups will have very different opinions
about RCHS and I want to make sure that each group is represented.